The Philippine Association of Academic and Research Libraries (PAARL) grants annual Awards to promote academic and research librarianship, specifically:
a) to foster the professional growth of academic/research librarians; and
b) to give recognition for special achievements.
These awards are as follows:
The Academic or Research Librarian of the Year Award is given to an individual librarian who has made an outstanding national contribution to academic or research librarianship and to library development. The awardee receives P2,000.00 and a plaque of recognition. Two awards are given each year, one for an outstanding academic/research librarian from Luzon, and the other, for an outstanding librarian from the Visayas or Mindanao region Nominee should have demonstrated achievements in the following areas:
- Planning and implementing an innovative or a high-impact library program for an academic/research library
- Significant and influential research on academic or research library service
- Service to the organized profession through PAARL and other related organizations
The Professional Service Award is given to the immediate past president of the association in recognition of his/her exemplary service to the association. Plaque of Recognition and a gift are to be given during the Annual General Assembly.
To recognize an academic or research library for its outstanding national contribution to academic or research librarianship and library development in the Philippines, the Outstanding Library of the Year Award is given with a plaque of recognition and a cash award of P 5,000. Nominee should have the following qualifications:
- exemplary contribution to academic and research librarianship
- outstanding leadership in national/regional library development in the areas of library management, education and training, information and documentation services, etc.
- commitment to information networking and linkages
- commitment to PAARL’s objectives as demonstrated by its continued support and cooperation in PAARL’s activities and undertakings
The Lifetime Achievement Award is the highest recognition given to an academic/research librarian as a hallmark of professional excellence. A plaque of recognition and a gift is given to the awardee. The nominee should possess the ff:
- Consistent recognition for service as an outstanding academic or research librarian
- demonstrated remarkable leadership in service to the association, in various capacities as President, officer, board member, or speaker/resource person in various PAARL seminars, conferences, and fora.
- distinguished lifetime professional career dedicated to the cause of Philippine academic librarianship for at least 30 years before retirement
The Outstanding Library Program of the Year Award is given to an academic or research library in recognition of its outstanding library program that contributes to Philippine academic librarianship and library development in the Philippines. The library program must have a strong impact on the library community, be innovative, sustainable and may be replicated to other library communities, or institutions. A plaque of recognition and a cash award of P 5,000 is given during the Annual Assembly
The Best Research Award, established in 2014, is the latest award given to the author/s of the winning research output for the year, with a cash incentive of P10,000 and a plaque of recognition. Accepted Research Papers submitted for this award are published online in the PAARL Research Journal.